Yes – School is done and summer has officially arrived. Now is the time for Fun in the Sun and I wanted to share a few important reminders about staying hydrated this season.
First a few fun facts:
- Did you know on average, the body is made up of 60% water?
- Water helps regulate your body temperature
- Keeps your mouth, eyes, and nose moist
- Keeps your joints lubricated and moving smoothly
- Helps flush out toxins and waste from the kidney and liver
So, water is VERY important to keep our body functioning properly. Everyday we lose water by simply breathing, sweating, and using the bathroom facilities and we need to replenish those losses PLUS a little extra to keep all our major body systems working correctly.
It is recommended that you drink 0.5-1 oz of water per pound of weight. Therefore, a 150 lb woman should drink between 75-150 oz (3.5-4 L) of water per day!!. Yes, it does sound like a lot and how many of us actually reach that goal…I would guess, not many.
To help you reach your goals here are a few tips to make it more fun and enjoyable:
- Get a water bottle with hourly increments as reminders to keep hydrated
- Add fruit or herbs to your water (blueberries, blackberries, cucumber, mint, lemon)
- Add carbonation or sparkling water to add a bit of fizz, especially for the kids to replace soda and sugary drinks.
Remember, signs of hydration are not always what we think. If you experience these signs and symptoms, reach for a glass or water.
- Feel thirsty, dry mouth, headache
- Change in mood, tired
- Trouble concentrating
- Dark yellow urine
And remember, stay in the shade, wear sun protection, and take frequent breaks from activity.
Have FUN this SUMMER and DRINK your WATER.
Dana Clay, NP